Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux 2.6 not a latency panacea?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux 2.6 not a latency panacea?
From: Takashi Iwai (tiwai_AT_suse.de)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 16:59:29 EEST

At Thu, 14 Aug 2003 02:55:28 +0300 (EEST),
Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> For example, one new approach to the problem SCHED_SOFTRR, see:
> http://www.xmailserver.org/linux-patches/softrr.html
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0307.1/1729.html
>
> It's unlikely to get something like this enabled by default in the vanilla
> kernel, but we might be able to get a kernel option (no patching!). But,
> but, as you can see from the discussion, they are talking about totally
> different things (how XMMS/realplayer performs)...
>
> ... basicly a way to get benefits of SCHED_FIFO but without need for root
> privileges. Now we just need to push these to the standard kernel somehow.

i think the most benifit of soft-RR is that it doesn't bring your box
hanging up even if a RT-process gets into an infinite loop. this will
help to sort out the problem when a JACK system freezes with
SCHED_FIFO. (i.e. if it happens with soft-RR, it's a kernel/driver
bug :)

running by the normal user is an additional gift, for my eyes.
such a feature can be implemented with a wrapper (library), too,
as jackstart does.

Takashi