Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio CODECs compared

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio CODECs compared
From: tim (tim_AT_orford.org)
Date: Sat Aug 30 2003 - 19:44:33 EEST

> I have done some testing on different audio codecs with different
> settings.
>

> More tests to come... Any comments on testing procedure are welcome.

interesting that the ogg response is boosted at 10k.

i wonder if these results correspond to your own
subjective assessment? Personally i feel that ogg is
an order of magnitude better than mp3 at all rates.
Perhaps your comment "Ogg would be better than lame at variable
bitrates, unless it had some issues with the high end" is drawing
premature conclusions:-)

i am of the opinion that over use of frequency response is
responsible for some very bad design decisions in modern
audio. Have you considered doing some time domain tests?
To my ears the major problem with mp3 is smearing of transients.

while i'm not sure of the purpose of trying to 'objectify'
a format designed for the human ear, its interesting to
see the results. Many thanks.

cheers

--
Tim Orford