Re: [linux-audio-dev] KEYBOARDS: Linux is not suited for audio applications ...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] KEYBOARDS: Linux is not suited for audio applications ...
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 13:49:42 EEST

Friday 05 September 2003 12:16 skrev Stefan Nitschke:
> >Hello,
> >
> >the german magazine KEYBOARDS has answered a readers question about audio
> >and linux with tremendous ignorance. I think this is a good chance to
> > push linux to the attention of "the masses".
> >
> >Here is the full text of question and answer (first in german, so anyone
> >can correct my errors ;-).
> >
> >... snip
>
> well the answer from the guy is in my opinion correct atleast for now.
> You need a LL-patch to get audio work as desired and AFAIK there is
> no main stream distro with that patch already applied.
> Please dont misunderstand me, i love audio on Linux but there is still
> some work to do until its is ready for "anyone". And i think thats what
> the answer was about.

In my opinion you are both right. But at some point in time you really need to
be a bit provokative, both to make people try and to lift your own horizon.

These "problems" won't fix themselves, it will be users requesting them to be
fixed (and in this case -open source- so users will be fixing it) and then
the ball will start rolling until it accumulates enough speed that it is self
sustaining.

And... things have gotten a lot better, there are no "of the shelf"
distros...yet, but there are numerous -easy to install- addons that are
definately geared towards end users.
DeMuDi
ReMuDi
PlanetCCRMA
turnkey
mandrake-contrib (or what it's called)

I for one wouldn't mind if there where some bold statements directed towards a
magazine like KEYBOARDS :)

Another way of putting it is that the response from KEYBOARDS is counter
productive, it sells the argument "it's to early, wait a few years more..."
And that may be right for a lot of users, but it may also scare of some
potential developers and early-adopters, since the article hardly even
mention the possibility of doing it the hard way.

Regards,
Robert