[linux-audio-dev] Software Sequencer API?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Software Sequencer API?
From: Sean Don (seandon_AT_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 22:56:06 EEST

Hi,

I'd like to program a "player piano" under GNU/Linux for OSS/Lite. All it would
do is play MIDI files and light up a song's notes on a graphical keyboard.

Unfortunately, my old SB16 sound card does not have AWE support and its Yamaha
OPL3 FM synthesizer support sounds very inorganic. Hence, I'm looking for a way
to use a "software sequencer" (like Timidity.) I tried Fluidsynth, but it causes
midis to break up on my computer.

Here are my questions:

1. Is is possible to have a previously written player for OSS (such as SDL Mixer
or Timidity) play a stream in the background, and I somehow "read into" what
notes are being played at every moment so I can light up the correct piano key?
Unfortunately, Timidity is stand-alone; that is, is has no developmental
libraries.

2. If not, then are there any "software sequencer" (MIDI to WAV) programming
*interfaces* out there that do not require ALSA (that is, that use OSS)?

Thanks In Advance,
Sincerely,
Sean