Re: [linux-audio-dev] Lots of stuff...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Lots of stuff...
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 18:21:00 EEST

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 03:47:23PM +0100, James Shuttleworth wrote:

> 2. The big app... I see lots of things in development, but that seems
> to be the problem - they are lots of separate things. Now, I hear that
> Jack is the next big thing, but is it enough? It seems like a great
> idea - synchronise multiple multiple apps and mix their output - but I
> can't see this being enough. I think it seems more suited to using a
> couple of apps together than for combining instruments into a track.
> When I write something in Cubase, I expect to click "save" and for
> all my connections, parameter values, automation, mixer settings,
> etc. to be stored, ready to be opened next time I feel like it
> without having to go through a number of apps and remember which
> files went with this project. Maybe I'm wrong - I hope I am -
> but Jack doesn't appear to come close to Cubase in this respect.
> Is there something else out there?

http://pkl.net/~node/ladcca.html
Could probably use your help. Now that JACK is pretty mature,
I think laddca is the next "killer framework" for linux audio.
But it's not mature and not widely implemented.

> 3. I want to know the state of play. Not of one app, but of
> the whole linux audio scene. Which apps work together? Which
> apps have debs, rpms, mdks, or whatever. Is there some kind
> of site like this? If there isn't, how about we build one?

I've been planning to, for AGES, and one of these days i'll really
do it, honest :-) It should only really take me a weekend
of fiddling with Zope.

> Something that would really keep it all together. Imagine:
> - Articles for developers and users

yup

> - FAQs that cover a whole host of apps

wikis too

> - Info on the current state of apps

would be built into the app-listing system

> - Pre-compiled packages that work together -

that's a whole huge project in its own right. I'm not going there.
Anyway, others have already done so: PlanetCCRMA and Demudi,
most notably.

> - Tutorials, links, guidelines. Now, guidelines is a good idea!

yup

> - A big, all encompassing TODO list.

huh?

> - A combined effort on documentation. I think a nice manual
> that covers a whole audio setup would be good.

would be cool.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com Look! Up in the sky! It's SPICY SNOTNOSE TACO! (random hero from isometric.spaceninja.com)