[linux-audio-dev] Re: Blocking rima-tde.net, was Re: *****SPAM***** [linux-audio-dev] WINNING NOTIFICATION

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Blocking rima-tde.net, was Re: *****SPAM***** [linux-audio-dev] WINNING NOTIFICATION
From: Joern Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 10:54:42 EEST

Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:
> El lunes, 8 de septiembre de 2003, a las 11:33, Dan Hollis escribe:
>
>>It's time to just block rima-tde.net, they don't care about their spam and
>>they won't do anything about the nigerian criminals infesting their
>>networks.
>

> Blocking rima-tde.net, maybe you will be blocking almost all spanish
> DSL users, including myself. I have my own DSL connection, and SMTP
> running on my computer. I could spam the entire world without using my
> provider's smarthost. Please, think twice about this.

as a sidenote, it is *strongly* discouraged to run your own smtp server
on a dynamic ip address that you don't exclusively own. i know it's nice
to roll your own just for the hack value, but any responsible smtp admin
out there should block *any and all* mails coming from known dialup
address pools.

if you can't keep your own sender address when using your isp's relay,
you should either raise hell with their support, switch providers or
ssh-tunnel into another network you have access to and use their smtp
(univiersity networks come to mind). if all this is not an option, you
are out of luck, but still: don't run your own smtp.

--
Progress (n.):  The process through which the Internet has evolved from
smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of smart

Jörn Nettingsmeier Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server) http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/ (Linux Audio Developers)