Re: Drums++ was: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] Gungirl Sequencer 0.1

Subject: Re: Drums++ was: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] Gungirl Sequencer 0.1
From: Mario Lang (mlang_AT_delysid.org)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 15:55:11 EEST

Robert Jonsson <robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se> writes:

> This is getting rather of topic, but I thought I'd just mention this app
> Drums++ that popped up the other week. http://dpp.mikekohn.net/

Thanks for this hint. I just looked at it, and it
seems to be quite nice. However, in this area, I already
know midge, and find it very useful. The only difference
between Drums++ and midge seems to be that Drums++
is capable of delivering the MIDI events directly to
a MIDI sequencer device. midge can only generate .mid files
and needs a separate player program.

OTOH, Drums++ license is not free as defined by the Debian Free
Software Guidelines. So for purist reasons, I choose to stick with
midge.

P.S.: For those of you interested, the Drums++ license
explicitly states that distributions are only allowed
to distribute Drums++ unmodified. Such a clause is
not a really good idea, since distributions usually have
to cope with User bug reports, and they also fix those bugs if
possible. This license explicitly forbids this behaviour,
and is therefore not acceptable, at least for Debian.

--
CYa,