Re: [linux-audio-dev] What's the best audio IO API on Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What's the best audio IO API on Linux
From: Paul Davis (paul_AT_linuxaudiosystems.com)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 20:42:27 EEST

>> I'd also like to chime in that OSS is not being worked on by anybody, as
>> near as I can tell. If you want any audio hardware supported, the action
>> is in ALSA.
>
>Maybe you should take a look at http://www.4front-tech.com

they are not "working on OSS" in the sense of extending the API to
handle new features that the OSS API can't handle without becoming
totally hardware-specific. i've discussed this with Dev and Hannu at
various times - they don't seem to see much a need for this. and of
course, the OSS "sequencer" API has never been the subject of much fan
mail from anyone - that's not being worked on either.

>It's still the only cross platform API. ALSA is Linux only.

PortAudio is the only cross-platform API worth considering, IMHO. Its
correctly designed, and works on more platforms that anything else.

--p