Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best road to audio programming happiness?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best road to audio programming happiness?
From: Thomas Webb (magusofthedark_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 05:12:35 EEST

> Anyhoo, now that I'm over them, I would love to get
> cracking on some chunky
> audio projects but I'm a bit unsure of a kind of
> "best practises" approach
> for audio programming. What should I study? Whats
> the best way to go?!

Everyone on the list is gonna hate me for saying this
:), but do a simple audio app in OSS first. Like, a
sample player. Only then will you appreciate what ALSA
and JACK has to offer.
Also, if you are making something for other UNIXen as
well (like me), OSS is more widely supported. I don't
think anyone other than geeks on this list would
install ALSA w/o OSS compatibility.

> I have done some messing around with SDL and that
> seems pretty cool - cross
> platform, good graphic capabilites, and the audio is
> really simple. The faq
> says "low level support for audio" - is it low
> enough?! Is it useless?

SDL is cool. I like it, but I mostly just use it for
games because as far as sound goes, it's very basic.
It kinda uses the "lest common denominator" approach
for cross-platform capability. Last time I used it for
audio, It only supported 8-bit sound, and I don't
think that's changed since then.

> Ive really gotten into audio programming, but the
> stuff I'm making is
> currently all over the place (like this message)
> using different snippets of
> code and tutorials I've found here and there. Half
> of the sources are old,
> so I don't know which path I should be following.
>
> Any hints would be appreciated!

If you know your Calculus, a good book that will
really help is "A Digital Signal Processing Primer" by
Ken Steiglitz.