Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best road to audio programming happiness?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best road to audio programming happiness?
From: Jack O'Quin (joq_AT_io.com)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 20:16:34 EEST

Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi> writes:

> For me Jack has been confusing as I'm not sure in what process/thread
> my audio routine runs. Somebody here wrote Jack's interesting thing is
> that it can route audio through applications. I don't want that.
> I want that Jack takes my C function (or its compiled object) and
> executes that within the real-time audio engine.

Your JACK process() callback is invoked in a special realtime thread
created within your application process during jack_activate(). The
JACK engine causes this thread to run in each client process once per
period.

If this is not clear, then we need to beef up the JACK documentation.

I guess that goes without saying, anyway. ;-)

Regards,

--
  Jack O'Quin
  Austin, Texas, USA