[linux-audio-dev] Sick of rebooting

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Sick of rebooting
From: Hans Fugal (hans_AT_fugal.net)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 02:39:54 EEST

I'm hoping there's a simple solution to this that I've just missed
somewhere along the line. Occasionally something will crash while using
oss emulation and I can't use the sound card until I reboot. I've tried
lsof /dev/dsp and as many other variations as I can think of and I never
get anything (even when sound is playing), which I think is related to
using devfs. I've also tried fuser, and good old visual grep on the
output of ps and nothing is running that would use the soundcard yet I
can't unload the snd-pcm-oss module.

This time it was timidity (which I have promptly uninstalled since this
version seems capable of nothing other than locking up my soundcard),
but it has been mplayer in the past.

Is there some way to restore access to the sound card short of
rebooting?

--
 Hans Fugal                 | De gustibus non disputandum est.
 http://hans.fugal.net/     | Debian, vim, mutt, ruby, text, gpg