Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux VERSUS OSS ???

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux VERSUS OSS ???
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 19:54:39 EEST

Hallo,
Paul Davis hat gesagt: // Paul Davis wrote:

> i doubt if people will write new OSS drivers, but they may. whether
> linus accepts them into the tree is another matter.
>
> as for alsa drivers being ported: that's extremely unlikely, though
> again, if someone has some reason to do it, they can.

How I understand it - and I could need some clarification from the
real driver pros - one of the goals of ALSA was to modularize driver
architecture and get more tasks away from the kernel to user land or
expressed another way: abstract software design from hardware design.
This in turn should make it easier to write drivers for ALSA or maybe
easier to write drivers that provide more functionality?

Am I describing this somehow correctly?

ciao