Re: [linux-audio-dev] Oss & threading -- is it possible

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Oss & threading -- is it possible
From: Juan Linietsky (coding_AT_reduz.com.ar)
Date: Sat Oct 11 2003 - 19:30:35 EEST

On Friday 10 October 2003 11:31, hexe_2003_AT_directbox.com wrote:
> Hello !
>
> I've read somewhere that it is not possible that threads write different
> data to /dev/dsp. But how does Cheesetracker, for example, make it then?

In cheesetracker, only one thread writes to the DSP and manages audio
.. the main one is for the GUI. Intercomunication between both is done
via shared memory, unless on destructive operations, where locking is
performed. (lock on the gui, and trylock on the audio thread). This is to
ensure that jack will not kill the app :)

Juan Linietsky