Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Linux VERSUS OSS ???

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Linux VERSUS OSS ???
From: ljp (ljp_AT_llornkcor.com)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 03:47:58 EEST

On Wednesday 15 October 2003 03:19, Paul Davis wrote:
> >> OSS is dead. You should not be writing apps with
> >
> >OSS.
> >
> >Well, at least OSS has a programmer's guide (PDF
> >file):
> >http://www.opensound.com/pguide/oss.pdf
>
> For ALSA
> --------
>
> Initial HOWTO's:
>
> http://www.suse.de/~mana/alsa090_howto.html
> http://equalarea.com/paul/alsa-audio.html
>
> Reference manual for the PCM API:
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/pcm.html#pcm

How about docs for the mixer interfaces? or a simple HOWTO.

Alsa/Jack is wonderful, and greatly more flexible than OSS, and is what linux
needs to move to more professional recording software, but it does take more
lines of code than OSS to do simple things. With OSS, I can have the device
opened and playing audio in about 5 lines of code.

> Equivalents exist there for the MIDI API and others.
 [snip]