Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Linux VERSUS OSS ???

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Linux VERSUS OSS ???
From: Paul Davis (paul_AT_linuxaudiosystems.com)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 05:57:34 EEST

>I believe fully in ALSA & JACK, but I code in what is
>the best for the time being. At present, it's best to
>code for both ALSA and OSS. is JACK fully functional
>and ready for commercial programs? no.

can you name any commercial audio applications for linux? which of
them do you believe are in a better state than JACK is?

>does JACK or ALSA work in other unixen? no. If you have good coding

JACK has already been ported to OS X, where it seems to be causing
quite a stir. Its inherently portable to any POSIX OS that has an
audio API allowing a callback model (i.e poll/select works, or the
existing API provides a callback model already).

>or practices and use good, modular design, changing the
>audio API is easy, so there's no need to look 3 years

its not easy if you decided to use a unix-style open/read/write/close
("blocking" or "push") model instead of a callback-driven (or "pull")
model. thats why i am always suggesting that people should use
PortAudio if they don't want to use JACK, because it enforces this
kind of design.

>down the road! If you designed your program well, it
>will be ready when JACK is.

2 years ago, before we started JACK, 90% of linux audio apps were not
ready for a design like JACKs. porting them to a JACK model was not
trivial, and in most cases, has not been done. thankfully, a quick
look at the list of supported apps on the jack website shows that
almost all of the most interesting apps are:

AlsaModularSynth
ALSA Patch Bay
AlsaPlayer
amSynth
ardour
brutefir
cheesetracker
creox
DJplay
ecamegapedal
ecasound
freqtweak
galan
horgand
hydrogen
icsound
iiwu/fluid-synth
JACK rack
JACK timemachine
jmax
legasynth
meterbridge
muse
octavian
pd
polarbear
rezound
rosegarden
rtsynth
simsam
soundtracker
spiralmodular
tapiir
terminatorX
timidity
wine
xmms-jack
zynaddsubfx

so, what are the apps that don't use JACK? (rhetorical question)

--p