Re: [linux-audio-dev] Athlon64 .. performance boost ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Athlon64 .. performance boost ?
From: Jussi Laako (jussi.laako_AT_pp.inet.fi)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 20:30:42 EEST

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 01:37, Benno Senoner wrote:

> - incompatibilities between Itanium and AMD 64: if you bought MS Office
> for AMD64 it will not run on Itanium and viceversa.
> Users will say "hey, it's always windows why is this incompatible ?"
> AMD is risking too because users usually stick with the strongest one
> thus it could be that when Itanium arrives on the
> desktop it will eclipse the AMD64 because of these Windows
> incompatibility problems.

AMD64 architecture is performs very well with old 32-bit stuff, while
Itanium sucks on this field. Athlon64 runs old 32-bit Counter Strike OK,
Itanium doesn't... ;)

AMD64 is also getting heavy support from motherboard manufacturers while
Itanium support is absent.

Time will show, but I think AMD64 as a great platform and also makes
transition from old 32-bit apps to new 64-bit apps smooth.

--
Jussi Laako <jussi.laako_AT_pp.inet.fi>