Re: [linux-audio-dev] Correct sustain pedal emulation (midi hold controller) ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Correct sustain pedal emulation (midi hold controller) ?
From: Alfons Adriaensen (fons.adriaensen_AT_alcatel.be)
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 14:22:43 EET

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 12:44:45PM +0100, Benno Senoner wrote:

> Assume no sustain pedal for now.
> When I press C2 I hear the note. When I release it the sound does not
> vanish immediately but takes a small amout of time to decay due to the
> release envelope. If after releasing C2 I immediately press C2 again I
> hear two C2 notes for a brief time.

> Now same situation as above but with the sustain pedal pressed.
> You hear the first C2, release it (the corresponding note-off is
> postponed) and then press C2 again.
> In that case is it correct that you must hear two sustained C2 notes.
> Or must the first C2 be forced to get faded out / muted ?
> If not (eg you hear two sustained C2 notes), how far can this go ?
> Can there be 3, 4 etc sustained notes on the same key too ?

Most synths will just restart the note on the same voice in both cases,
i.e. begin a new attack phase at the level the previous (same) note had
reached during its release. So there will one be at most one note of a
particular pitch at the same time.

Small pedantic note: a piano has more than one string per note, but
you always play them all together :-) It's one of the reasons why a
decent piano sound is quite hard to synthesize.