Re: [linux-audio-dev] Softsynth latency control [Jack?]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Softsynth latency control [Jack?]
From: Florian Schmidt (mista.tapas_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Oct 31 2003 - 05:01:13 EET

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:09:46 -0500
Paul Davis <paul_AT_linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> most softsynths are zero latency. only those that work in the
> frequency domain tend to have non-zero latency. by this i mean that
> the synth will generate output for a given time period at the same
> time as processing any input it receives (which may be nothing at all)
> for the same time period.

Yes, but this output has to pass through a buffer and that introduces
delay. With filters in the frequency domain you mean stuff like fourier
and wavelet analysis where you have to have a certain windowsize to get
low frequencies.. In these cases you would have two latencies which add
up. the filter/softsynth latency and the output latency.

In the case that the softsynth is connected to a track in ardour,
there's also a possible delay introduced for this [softsynth
output]->[ardour track input] - connection (i don't know the details)? I
suppose, this is also compensated for? In this case handling the output
latency would be trivial because after entering the track in ardour the
signal has the same latency as the other tracks from ardour (well,
exccept for those that go through other plugins/jackclients inside and
outside of ardour, but this is handled, too, i suppose).

> ardour does exactly this. it delays all tracks by various amounts so
> that they sync up with the most latent/delayed one. this includes
> internal delays caused by plugins, and external delays due to signal
> routing.

This is so cool :) I have to try that and find a midi sequencer that can
act as jack transport slave..