[linux-audio-dev] Re: aRts development (KDE)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: aRts development (KDE)
From: Roger Larsson (roger.larsson_AT_norran.net)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 09:21:09 EET

(resent, previously sent from non member account)

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 20.13, Sean Meiners wrote:
> Thanks, that helped. But it only seems to run if I stop the aRts server,
> which seems to defete the purpose of having it.
>
> On another note, has anyone had any luck/experience with recording? I need
> to be able to access and pull data from the microphone. Also, what about
> controling the sample rate? I only want 8000Hz from the mic, anything more
> is overkill for my needs.

It is not trivial... :-(
(but it is much better now KDE3.2b, then the last time I tried)

First thing first (I forgot when testing...)
* Control Center -> Sound System -> Hardware Tab -> Full Duplex !!!

If you use KDE then read the KRec startup tips carefully.

* Tools ->
        Audio Manager, click on KRec::In to select arts bus to record (in_soundcard)
        start Arts control tool (optional), on View there are some interesting tools
                with older KDE you access the Audio Manager from here.
        start KMix, to select what hardware source is routed to in_soundcard.
                Input: select source (Mic, I guess for 8kHz) and capture,
                         adjust levels (I had to actually move the sliders - bug...),
                         deselect others.
                Recording levels should move with your mic input...

* File -> New (~ insert the tape)

* And finally
        it should be possible to press the red record button.
        rewind the tape
        playback

/RogerL

--