Re: [linux-audio-dev] Slashdot: linux-based music keyboard workstation released

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Slashdot: linux-based music keyboard workstation released
From: Thomas Webb (magusofthedark_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 16:54:43 EET

It's just a frikkan computer! I'm sorry, but I'm not a
big fan of these synth workstations. They are just
crippled computers and in this case, withold the
cripple (but double the money). You can just make one
of those.. wouldn't be as pretty and you'd have to
muck w/ RT-linux. Or, you could pick up a laptop..
it's all the rage these days, I hear ;)

I think good synth design, as far as hardware goes, is
knowing what features to leave out as much as
engineering them in. If it's too versatile, it is just
a frusturating, expensive computer. I think a true
show of embedded linux excellence would be something
with a mediocre processor and very small & cheap, but
is intuitive and reasonably flexible. Anyone out there
working on cool embedded designs?

http://www.lionstracs.com/index.php?module=Static_Docs&func=view