Re: [linux-audio-dev] Slashdot: linux-based music keyboard workstation released

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Slashdot: linux-based music keyboard workstation released
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 17:43:15 EET

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 06:54:43AM -0800, Thomas Webb wrote:
> It's just a frikkan computer! I'm sorry, but I'm not a
> big fan of these synth workstations. They are just
> crippled computers and in this case, withold the
> cripple (but double the money). You can just make one
> of those.. wouldn't be as pretty and you'd have to
> muck w/ RT-linux.

why RT-linux?

> Or, you could pick up a laptop..

This is not "just a computer" if you look at the specs.
when you've added 12 stereo 24-bit I/O channels to
your laptop, plus midi, plus a 76-key weighted keyboard,
plus a midi controller with 10 faders and a few dozen
buttons, I think you'll end up with something equally
expensive, without an upgradeable CPU, and vastly more
difficult to set up and tear down at gigs.

Certainly not everyone needs all those features, so
the audience is limited. But it has an appeal to me.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com Look! Up in the sky! It's KILL SPINALIZED DOOD! (random hero from isometric.spaceninja.com)