Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: linux-audio-dev Digest, Vol 2, Issue 24

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: linux-audio-dev Digest, Vol 2, Issue 24
From: martin rumori (ptiger_AT_gmx.de)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 03:50:48 EET

Jack O'Quin writes:
> It does seem difficult within the context of X11 to prove that a user
> is actually local to the machine. Some people may want to cluster
> audio systems on a LAN somehow, so that restriction may not always be

agree. for most of the graphical applications like ardour, the
assumption "local user <-> realtime user" might be correct. but in
general i don't see the advantage over the group solution. their
might be local users on a machine which should not have realtime
privileges.

> Careful system administration can probably ensure that only a small
> group of users are authorized to login. One of the things I like
> about the `audio' group approach is that it is easy to administer and
> simple to verify who has access to those privileges.

i think, that's a clean solution. to be able to distinguish between
realtime- and non-realtime-audio users, i'd propose to use a separate
group (e.g. 'rtaudio'), so

(5) introduce a group 'rtaudio', whose members are granted realtime
    privileges.

on a multiuser system, i think it's not necessary to grant realtime
privileges to every user who wants to hear his custom system beeps :-)

cheers, martin