[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: POSIX caps/realtime/root processes

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: POSIX caps/realtime/root processes
From: Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen (k.s.matheussen_AT_notam02.no)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 14:08:35 EET

On Mon, 16 Nov 2003, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> > I couldn't wait til you found it, so I wrote one from scratch instead. :)
> > The url below point to a hackish patch againt 2.4.23-rc1, and yes, it is
> > very simple. Works by setting /proc/sys/kernel/setschedandmlock to 1.
> > http://www.notam02.no/arkiv/src/schedmlockpatch-2.4.23-rc1
>
> Hey! Good! I'm very tempted to add it to the Planet CCRMA kernels right
> away :-)
>
> Has it seen much testing? Not that something so simple would require a
> lot of testing, of course. I'm trying to think of potential problems
> (over the use of capabilities) and can't think of anything. The only
> that would occur to me is that access to SCHED_FIFO would be more
> universal whereas with capabilities, programs like givertcap or
> jackstart are required.

Its not been much tested. :) But I have run it for a day now, and havent
noticed any problems. Its very very simple, shouldn't cause any trouble
(except for the security) I guess.

There is one thing though, the 60 in the "KERN_GAKK=60," addition to
sysctl.h might be the same as other enums applied in later patches.
Perhaps change it to something like 9999. I dont know what the KERN_
enums are for though... Or perhaps it can just be removed.