Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: POSIX caps/realtime/root processes

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: POSIX caps/realtime/root processes
From: Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen (k.s.matheussen_AT_notam02.no)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 15:49:57 EET

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Jack O'Quin wrote:

> So, my feeling is that the best approach is...
>
> (1) LSM for 2.6.
>
> This is something we might ask multimedia distributions to
> distribute, enabling an optional turn-key solution for realtime
> audio.
>
> (2) An interface-compatible variant of your patch for 2.4.
>
> This would probably only be available for do-it-yourself kernel
> builders and via special-purpose distributions like Planet CCRMA.
> Basically, this is for people who are currently using capabilities
> and need to continue using 2.4 for a while. I don't see it as a
> long-term solution. Most of those people will probably migrate to
> 2.6 fairly quickly.

I still like a module idea though. I dont see the point of
patching the kernel with the security module interface, except for the
security. What I would like, though, is:

-A module that does not require any patches to the kernel.
-A module that provides some sort of give_me_realtime(int pri) function,
 which can be called without being root or have capabilities.
-This give_me_realtime_or_something function sets SCHED_FIFO priority and
 calls mlockall() and sets up a watchdog of some kind (shouldn't be to
 hard when you are inside the kernel).

Why?
-No patching of the kernel.
-Same interface for 2.4 and 2.6, and possible other OS'es.
-Simple interface for the programmer.
-The module should be easy to make.

Unfortunately, I dont have the time to make this module right now.