Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tracker

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tracker
From: Jens M Andreasen (jens.andreasen_AT_chello.se)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 04:49:50 EET

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 00:24, Stonekeeper wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 19:01, Juan Linietsky wrote:
> > It's not bad, but it's not really free (OpenSource),
>
> Generally, musicians don't give a toss whether something is
> free(Opensource) or not (let the flaming begin). ...

OK ;)

-<snip>

 Does it allow me to make good music?"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the core question: Is it useful?

This also goes for most of the people on this list: We are so much into
constructing/dreaming up the impossible/inevitable

> > Also considering linux distros losing their binary compatibility
> > every now and then, nobody ensures that this will continue working
> > in the future.

The guy has a point here: I spend an unreasonably amount of time getting
GTK.1.2 to deliver approximately what most people (programmers) would
have had expecteded. Recompiling for GTK.2.0 was a NO NO! because of all
the kludges I invented. My source for the userinterface was practically
_as_ unreadable as you can get.
( It is cleaned up now though, but had I gone elsewhere, then nobody
would have cared! ).

It is still so that gtk2 has higher demands on cpu than gtk1.x

-<snip>--

> Just my pennies worth.
Just my "Niclaus Wirth" :)

cheers