Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tracker

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tracker
From: Benjamin Flaming (lad_AT_solobanjo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 21:35:41 EET

On Thursday 27 November 2003 03:04 am, Stonekeeper wrote:
> Do you think a port of Sonar or Nuendo to linux would be a good thing?

No.

> If so, and it happened, i promise you it would not be open source. These
> people need to make a living. I believe it _would_ talk to JACK, LADSPA,
> etc (it would be stupid not to) but I doubt they'd release the code.

Personally, I would be very surprised if it communicated with any of the
existing Linux audio systems. These companies like having control - it's
good for business. This is why Digi Design doesn't support VST in Windows,
nor can you run Pro Tools with hardware from any other company. Most other
audio software companies aren't quite so ruthless, but it is still in their
best commercial interest to push things as far in this direction as they can
without making users angry.

> This port would mean that in the publics eyes, linux was now considered
> a viable alternative by the "industry" and linux audio has reached the
> big time.

The way I see it, there are 4 ways for Linux to become an accepted part of the
pro audio industry:

A. Engineers accept Ardour/Linux as another useful combination of tools,
alongside similar programs for Windows and Mac OS
B. Major audio software companies port their products to Linux
C. The audio industry embraces open source technology
D. Something else I've overlooked

A is probably the most realistic. B might follow close behind it, leading to
a parallel of what is happening in the film industry. C is what I'm hoping
for, and actively working to encourage. D is the most likely ;)

> If the
> motivation for a coder/company is NOT to make money, the opensource
> development model (IMHO) is the best way to go.

This is, admittedly, getting into subjective territory, but I don't think
coders should be motivated by making money. I think they should be motivated
by wanting to make the *tools* which they use to make money. Think of a
blacksmith making a hammer or anvil - he's not concerned with whether he can
sell it, he's concerned with whether he can use it in his day-to-day work.

> If you think a binary port of Sonar or Nuendo would be a bad thing, then
> that's more of an opinion based on philosophy and not based on
> furthering linux in the audio realm.

It's based partly on philosophy, but it's also based largely on experience.
I've seen proprietary audio software up-close-and-personal. Just for the
record, I'm an Avid 135 and 235 certified Pro Tools operator. My experience
has led me to the conclusion that proprietary software is harmful to the
audio industry. Your experience, and therefore your opinion, differ from
mine. Please don't assert that my opinion is not grounded in reality.

Regards,