Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tracker

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tracker
From: David Olofson (david_AT_olofson.net)
Date: Fri Nov 28 2003 - 03:19:42 EET

On Friday 28 November 2003 00.29, Stonekeeper wrote:
[...]
> > You should take note that *no* commercial audio software for
> > Linux has succeeded, and there have actually been a few nice apps
> > for sale (Jazz and the Ultramaster RS101 come to mind).
>
> Why do you think that was?
> Being closed source? (Would you have bought it if you could
> download it?)
> Too pricey?
> Linux cheapskates? ;) (Before WW4 starts, I exclusively use linux
> for my work :) )
>
> I'd be interested to know.

Me to. I bet there are a few commercial lurkers around that would like
to know as well.

[...]
> > Interesting. You seem to be saying that the public equates
> > closed-source with big-time.
>
> No sorry. You misinterpreted what i meant. I mean if a big company
> would spend effort porting an application to linux then others in
> the industry would notice that and more likely consider it a
> "viable" platform.

Not quite, I think. They would probably investigate why this company
did the port (good: they might learn about Linux), but then they'd
most probably just sit back and see what happens. Let the early
adopters break new ground and make the big, expensive mistakes. Then
go in and make the money the early adopters are morally entitled to.

| Free/Open Source audio engine for games and multimedia. |