Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tracker

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tracker
From: by way of Juan Linietsky (Juan)
Date: Sun Nov 30 2003 - 05:52:17 EET

On Friday 28 November 2003 17:27, Paul Davis wrote:
> >as paul says, opt/ is a fine solution for this, as everything just
> > symlinks, but it's sad that it never took off.
>
> i don't think its a fine solution. i never saw anything useful about
> /opt at all. it just created a *third* possible install location.

Oh, my apologies for misreading.
I think the only sane thing about it is that
-lets you keep track of what's in your system and where did it came from
without an extra database of the package management system
-lets you easily install/switch between software versions

Juan Linietsky

(btw my apologies also for sending the message direct, this new kmail is quite
confusing)