Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] linux audio on PPCi

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] linux audio on PPCi
From: Christian Schoenebeck (christian.schoenebeck_AT_epost.de)
Date: Sun Nov 30 2003 - 20:00:39 EET

Es geschah am Donnerstag, 27. November 2003 11:42 als
vincent.touquet_AT_pandora.be schrieb:

> I know some applications are not ported yet to ppc and suffer from
> x86-isms, but that should be fixable I guess :)

It's not only orphaned asm lines but also endian dependent code that makes a
lot of trouble on non intel machines. It seems that lot of programs suffer
this problem, but there is one project that takes very care about endian
correctness, what was it name? Hmmm... ah, yeah it's called LinuxSampler I
think. ;P

Anyway, whatever brand or type you'll choose, I recommend you that it has an
ATI graphics chip, so you don't have to install extra proprietary opengl
drivers for X like it's the case with Nvidia, it should have no shared memory
and a good display; I wouldn't take one with a resolution lower than
1280x1024, I chose one with a resolution of 1600x1200. Regarding the sound
chip they're all more or less the same (anybody with another experience?).
Usually and surprisingly (at least to me) sufficient for low latency output,
but for quality you will buy an external sound device. And instead of having
the best, fastest, overkilling CPU I would better spend that money in RAM (at
least 512MB, better more).

Best regards
Christian