Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Security Module for realtime audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Security Module for realtime audio
From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.stanford.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 20:28:28 EET

> > > attached is what i have done today.... works, but needs to
> > > be checked by someone who can judge about the sideeffects.
> > >
> > > i am not so sure about them.
> >
> > Encouraged by your success, I plan to modify this LSM to implement the
> > `kernel/realtime' and `kernel/realtime-group' interfaces we discussed
> > recently. I'll keep you posted on how that progresses.
>
> the most simple way would be parameters given to the module for the
> realtime group and user. There are nice macros for module parameters.
>
> i believe that adding to the currently overridden function
>
> if( bprm->e_gid == realtime_gid ) {
> bprm->cap_effective = CAP_IPC_LOCK | CAP_SYS_NICE | CAP_SYS_RESORCE
> bprm->cap_permitted = CAP_IPC_LOCK | CAP_SYS_NICE | CAP_SYS_RESORCE
> }
>
> should work fine.
>
> although i am not happy with CAP_SYS_RESOURCE ( needed for RTC interrupts > 64Hz )
> which also allows a process to Override quota limits.

This was needed to make mlockall work (on 2.4.x). CAP_IPC_LOCK was not
enough, I don't know why. We tried removing it and memory locking broke.
Is this on 2.6? Maybe it is different.

Re: the rtc clock, in 2.4 there is a /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq
control file that can be used to rise the maximum rtc clock frequency a
normal user can set.

> But because in drivers/char/rtc.c the check is
> if ( capable( CAP_SYS_RESOURCE ) ) { allow higher freq }
>
> it seems like its not possible with the current implementation.
> but we could however provide a jackrtc module which checks for a
> new CAP_RTC_INTS.

-- Fernando