Re: [linux-audio-dev] New Linux Audio Column in Linux Journal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] New Linux Audio Column in Linux Journal
From: Joern Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 17:14:52 EET

Jack O'Quin wrote:
> Joern Nettingsmeier <nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de> writes:
>

>>reading lwn.net this morning i found that the linux journal has a new
>>linux audio column in their online edition, written by dave phillips.
>>the current issue is at
>>http://www.linuxjournal.com//article.php?sid=7283 .
>

> Many thanks to Dave for this fine article. He's done more than anyone
> to make Linux Audio accessible to a wide group of users.
>
> One question. Dave states (about linux-audio-announce)...
>
> Posts to this list often and sometimes annoyingly are cross-posted
> to LAD and LAU, but hopefully it will become the preferred list for
> letting the public know about new and updated releases.
>
> I thought from several previous discussions that cross-posting of
> announcements was *encouraged*, so that LAU and LAD readers need not
> subscribe to LAA. Did I misunderstand this? Dave's point
> (announcements only on LAA) actually makes more sense, but I
> understood the list policy differently.
>
> Is there an official answer to this FAQ somewhere?

quoting the lad subscrioption page:

"You are highly encouraged to cc: release announcements to the announce
and user lists at

     linux-audio-announce_AT_music.columbia.edu and
     linux-audio-user_AT_music.columbia.edu."

quoting the laa subscription page:

"[...] if you require public feedback or discussion, please cc: the
linux-audio-user list or other appropriate forums."

could be worded a bit more precisely, i agree. iirc the consensus was
that most patrons of lad and lau did not want to subscribe to yet
another mailing list (as the list subscriber statistics clearly
indicate), and so voted for announcements to always appear on lad/lau in
addition to the announce list.

--
Happy Birthday, Professor !
Noam Chomsky, born Dec 7, 1928