Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Security Module for realtime audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux Security Module for realtime audio
From: Dave Griffiths (dave_AT_pawfal.org)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 17:37:48 EET

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:45:16 -0500, Paul Davis wrote
> >Updating 120 GTK+ sliders (as a consequence of a patch change) took
> >several seconds before I made the gtk thread SCHED_RR. I would call that
> >a missed visual deadline, No?
>
> no, i'd call it an error in the toolkit or your own code. i have no
> idea which. what version of GTK+ are you using, and are they regular
> GTK+ sliders?

I've seen behaviour like that occasionally when I've got too many places in
GUI code that's waiting to get a lock on data from the audio. I think I was
redrawing sliders from values being sent back from the audio thread and
basically calling one blocking mutex per slider. It can get very slow (but is
quite easy to fix...)

dave