Re: [linux-audio-dev] bandwidth limited waveform generators?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] bandwidth limited waveform generators?
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 13:43:02 EET

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 12:16:27 +0100, Maarten de Boer wrote:
> hello,
>
> i remember that some time ago there was some discussion about
> bandwidth limited waveform generators. my question is: did
> anybody compare the various implementations, and does anybody
> have an idea what would be the fastest? (square, saw)

I use a set of tables with increasing numbers of partials
(http://plugin.org.uk/src/util/blo.h, .c) for tri, squ, saw. Its pretty
basic but it works and its fast. It handles stuff like partial pop-in
problems for you.

I use a slightly evil SHM hack to share the tables betwwen plugins and
applications that use them, which should reduce the memory/cache hit.

There are other techniques that should have a smaller memory footprint, if
your not worried about some aliasing, but I've not tried them.

- Steve