[linux-audio-dev] resend: more about sync (was: rosegarden/ardour, ardour/adat, etc.)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] resend: more about sync (was: rosegarden/ardour, ardour/adat, etc.)
From: Aaron Trumm (aaron_AT_nquit.com)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 22:59:50 EET

Hi all.

I've been trolling and testing various sync methods and I've noticed some
questions popping up. Is it just me or is the linux audio situation a bit
incomplete at this point with regard to information on that subject?

It may just be that most of the programs are still struggling to develope
sync techniques (MTC, MMC, ADAT sync, SMPTE, jack transport, etc. etc.), but
also is there a relative lack of info/tutorials/etc?

The reason I ask, is because not only for my sake, but for the sake of the
community, I'd sure be glad to try and make a dent in that, maybe document
some toots, or whatnot. of course, this all has to be in sync (no pun
intended ;) ) with the development of the capabilities...

I wish I had time to sort of type out something more detailed - I'll get to
that sometime here (running short on time right this minute :) )

one basic hole I see at least in my understanding, is what the HECK is
jack_transport, how does it fit in, etc.? that's ONE - there are lots of
holes for me *laugh* another curious one is ecasound? it's the veteren
around here in a lot of ways - does it sync to anything?

ok well I'll wait for thoughts and then as soon as I can get a chance, I'll
write something longer and sort of put out to y'all what I've found out, and
see what holes can be filled - cheers (sorry for any unclarity in this
email, unclarity is why I'm starting this thread! :) )

- Aaron
  www.nquit.com