Re: [linux-audio-dev] problem with via82cxx sound driver

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] problem with via82cxx sound driver
From: Tom (tetrarch_AT_myrealbox.com)
Date: Thu Jan 01 2004 - 00:21:43 EET

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 12:16:45AM +0200, Can Ugur Ayfer wrote:
> I've been having some weird problem with my new mainboard which has an
> onboard VIA ac97 sound card
>
> When I set everything for OSS drivers, xmms plays mp3 files like
> a stuck record player. I can move around the music file but it gets
> stuck in the first second.

Sounds like an IRQ-related problem - the audio driver works fine,
but doesn't get notified properly when the next chunk of data is
required. If there's a way to tinker with the ac97 IRQ settings
(usually provided in the BIOS setup menu), try something in the
lower (1-15) range - IRQs above 15 require a slightly different
handling method.

Other options... try an ACPI-enabled kernel (or vice versa),
double-check that you've got 82cxx turned on in the kernel settings
(VIA82CXXX option in the ATA/IDE block devices menu), maybe even
turn on the local APIC option as well.

good luck...