Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Consortium-p] Re: linuxaudio.org

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Consortium-p] Re: linuxaudio.org
From: Marek Peteraj (marpet_AT_naex.sk)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 02:17:43 EET

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 22:22, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 12:09:34 +0100, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> > All i wanted to say is, i see LAD and LAU as the *only* place for linux
> > audio community(not because i say so but because it *evolved* in such
> > place) and the community as the authority.
>
> I dont think thats true - there are a large number of linux audio
> developers* that aren't present on LAD.
>
> the l-a-d mailing list may be seen as an authoritive representation of the
> LAD community, but not linux audio in general.
>
> * I can think of several academics who use and develop linux audio
> software daily and who never read or post to LAD,

that's why we should promote it. I see there's a clear tradition. It's
been here since when - 1997 or 1996? that's 7-8 years already.

I'm not saying that this is the only place even if there are other
places, but i don't know of any other places where people discuss linux
audio development in general. And even if there were more places, we
should try to get them together.

> and all the commercial
> developers - when was the last time you saw a posting from yamaha.com,
> 4front or Hartmann?

I have a cd burner from Yamaha, i tried to contact them because i wanted
them to provide specs for developing a firmware loader. I've contacted
them 6-7 times, and guess what, the answer was 'no' even though they
discontinued all cd-burners a year ago. The emails came with invalid
email addrs.

4Front - are those the ones who did proprietary soundcard drivers for
linux? Wasn't that one of the reasons alsa was created?

Is Hartmann actually informing its customers that they're using a linux
kernel? Are they informing whether or not it's a vanilla kernel or a
patched kernel? Are they actually providing source code?

http://www.music.columbia.edu/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2003-June/004100.html

Take another example - Kiss. I guess everybody here is reading slashdot.
For those who're not, see http://www.mplayerhq.hu.

Or take montavista - (Benno, correct me if i'm wrong) they use Benno's
latency test tool without actually mentioning his efforts.
Those efforts we're discussed *here* back in 2000 if i remember
correctly.

I'm sorry to say that, but there's only *one* company that supports
linux - Lionstracs.
And there are those companies which come close, by providing specs and
even hw - companies such as RME.

Marek