Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 22:34:48 EET

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 17:53, Iain Duncan wrote:
> I think the way to make an inter app modular really useful and new would be
> to use Jack for *ALL* signal passing including control signals as CV
> emulations by passing a DC signal through Jack ( as say an equivalent of a
> Csound krate signal or a hardware modular control volt signal.) If the
> modular was some sort of framework for interconnecting apps and plugins
> controlled by midi and Jack DC signals, one could actually accomplish the
> kind of flexibility possible with hardware modulars and still be able to
> incorporate other work.
>
> Iain

An interesting idea for sure, but what's the point really? If you want
to export a certain bit of audio or control data to jack, just run it
into a jack output plugin.

Having every single connection, useful or not, done through jack would
make your jack patch bay SO incredibly complicated and crammed full of
garbage as to be totally useful.

But you're mashing the ideas of modules in an app and connecting
multiple apps together - different problems. A jack patch bay that
works like a modular would definately be cool, but a totally different
project.

-Dave