Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Project: modular synth editor

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Project: modular synth editor
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 19:29:46 EET

Hallo,
Steve Harris hat gesagt: // Steve Harris wrote:

> True enough :) but I think it takes a reasonable ammount of talent to make
> really intuative and compact UIs (screen realestate is an issue) even if
> if doesnt have a photorealistic interface. Theres a loopbased performace
> instrument that I think is a really good example (I cant remeber its
> name),

Ableton Live, maybe? It has a exceptionally well thought out
interface, IMO.

> it only uses geometric 2-tone widgets, but its got an easy to use
> interface and is well disigned. Personally, I dont have design skills
> anywhere near that good, and I havent seen anything as good from other LAD
> developers.

I also prefer the people who studied design somehow to do design work.

Regarding OpenGL: Although this could be a nice API for doing all
kinds of interfaces, the hardware side on Linux is looking
increasingly worse because of the XFree86 peoples' decision to go
modular and allow closed source drivers for DRI. Now we're in a
situation, where only old chipsets like Matrox G550 or incapable ones
like the Intel graphics chips have open source Open GL drivers. Nvidia
OTOH does provide decent drivers but they are closed source and
reportedly also could have a bad impact on audio performance. Even
most newer ATI cards don't have open source OpenGL drivers anymore,
although there are efforts to write some.

All this is really a problem to be considered when deciding to base a
GUI on Open GL. In most (audio) cases a 2D-interface would suffice,
I'm sure.

ciao