Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor
From: Fons Adriaensen (fons.adriaensen_AT_skynet.be)
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 03:56:52 EET

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 07:40:43PM -0500, Dave Robillard wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 19:30, Iain Duncan wrote:
> > One standard type of connection ( a jack ) can be used between modules of
> > different manufacturers for all of:
> > - instantaneous audio feedback ( well speed of light anyway! )
> > - any audio signal can be used as a control signal and vice versa
> > - any signal can be used to cross modulate or mix with any other signal
> > - a signal can be used for as long as wanted in a control chain without
> > worrying about resolution loss ( sure it may get distorted, but the
> > distortion is also happening at the speed of light. )
>
> That's great. You've totally missed my point though. Yep, modulars are
> general. The great thing about them is you can do anything, and connect
> anything in any way you want.

The point is IMHO that JACK is great for making audio connections between
independent Linux processes - that what it's designed for, and what it does
extremely well (BTW congrats to Paul and the whole JACK team for the Open
Source Award). But using JACK for internal connections is pure overkill,
and I'm not even sure it will work as you expect.

--
FA