[linux-audio-dev] Two or more monitors) Re: Project: modular synth editor

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Two or more monitors) Re: Project: modular synth editor
From: gml_AT_xs4all.nl
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 17:03:29 EET

A)
Xinerama _does_ support open GL, at least with my matrox card, I can have
openGL on one monitor of the two. That is a limitation of the card
hardware, AFAIK, not of X.
Still there are a lot of these cards around so openGL would not be very
useful.

B)ergonomics
Mutli head setups are extremely useful.
I can easily see both monitors without turning my head, and in a glance I
can see the state of several applications. Or I have the documentation in
a browser on one monitor and the app on another. Much easier on the brain
than constantly switching workspaces back and forth.
In a studio there is also a lot of other gear that needs to be watched;
mixing-desk, outboard equipment, talent etc. Using a multihead setup you
can put the transport and the metering on a monitor near the console, and
the editor window on a monitor optimally placed for "desk-work" ergonomics
(eye height, keyboard at the right place etc)
It is also adviced to move your eyefocus around during work to prevent
RSI. (look out a window etc.) Focusing to much on a relatively tiny area
all the time is very bad ergonomics. So head movement by itself is not
bad, the opposite in fact.

Gerard