Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Lionstracs.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Lionstracs.
From: Doug Wellington (ddw_AT_dakotacom.net)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 20:18:35 EET

Previously:
> I don't like the idea of depending on stuff I can't control.

Ah...that's an important point. As a system administrator, I take
the opposite stance. I want stuff that I *don't* have to control.
Having 400 computers to maintain, I don't want to have to suss out
some bug and hack OS code. I want to be able to call HP or Sun or
Apple or whoever and tell them there's a problem and have them send
me a patch or come out and fix it themselves!

<troll>
Or even better, how about an operating system that just works in
the first place??? (Can you say VMS???)
</troll>

;-)

>> Damn, $300 a year for Red Hat Enterprise? I thought it was free!!!
>
> Well, it is, except for any proprietary software they might have
> thrown in. What you're paying for is pressed CDs, printed
> documentation, and most importantly, support. If you only need the
> Free software, you can just download it or get it on CDs from
> somewhere else.

Two words - "customer requirements"... (Hey, and have YOU tried to
get support from Red Hat recently?)

> Can you get Windows at a lower price, if you don't need support and
> stuff...? ;-)

Yep, cheaper than Red Hat Enterprise... Not that I really want to go
down that conversational path right at the moment... ;-)

-Doug