[linux-audio-dev] oprofile, redhat and CONFIG_PREEMPT

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] oprofile, redhat and CONFIG_PREEMPT
From: Michael Ost (most_AT_museresearch.com)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 22:11:17 EET

Hi, all.

We want to run oprofile on our redhat 8 based system. It looks like
great technology, but an oprofile FAQ says it doesn't work on redhat 8
systems.

The FAQ recommends downloading a redhat's oprofile rpm, which we did.
But that is configured not to work with a CONFIG_PREEMPT kernel. Our
kernel is CONFIG_PREEMPT patched for increased audio performance.

Yikes!

Has anyone run in to this problem and found a clever solution? An
alternate profiler that works? Will we get meaningful results if we
rebuild the kernel with CONFIG_PREEMPT turned off? Or perhaps we can run
it with CONFIG_PREEMPT on and see what happens?

Cheers...

Michael Ost, Software Architect
Muse Research, Inc.
most_AT_museresearch.com mo