Re: [linux-audio-dev] ".mid" files playing in Linux games

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ".mid" files playing in Linux games
From: Ryan Underwood (nemesis-lists_AT_icequake.net)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 02:03:58 EET

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 12:05:24PM -0600, RTaylor wrote:

> >I was just attempting to point out that the formats themselves do not
> >constrain the ability of the composer to write music in one style or
> >another. You could write a piece with an acceptable piano simulation
>
> .mod seems a bit limiting to me... If your samples are too large they drag a
> bit, files get huge, etc. I don't think I've actually played one since about
> 1994 or so though and that was on my 486/25. :} I could very well be mistaken.

Module files are usually a reasonable compromise between quality and
size for soundtracks. The disadvantage of tracker files compared to
MIDI is that they are larger since they contain the samples. The
advantage is that you know they will sound identical no matter where
they are played and whether or not the end user has MIDI hardware or not
(if not, then you are also saving them CPU time on the soft MIDI
synthesis, and perhaps sounding better if they have only a crappy
wavetable GM).

They are advantageous compared to raw PCM streams also due to the small
size (like dictionary compression almost if you consider the repeatedly
used samples to be the "words" of the dictionary). That advantage is
mitigated somewhat due to high quality PCM compression such as vorbis.
Certain styles of music such as techno and instrumental music lend
themselves exceedingly well to module formats, where music with voice
tracks and lots of embellishments and such would probably be better off
composed solely in digital audio.

Recent games such as Unreal and Age of Wonders (among others I'm sure)
still employ module formats for their soundtracks. (.IT, .XM)

> You're pretty much stuck with a tracker to play or compose in as well, no?

No. Open module formats can be played in any program. MikMod (used by
SDL_mixer) supports a lot of them out of the box. You are correct
though that a tracker software (such as classic DOS trackers, or open
source SoundTracker) is usually required to compose most efficiently.

You can usually use a tracker or module player to easily export module
files to digital audio.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis_AT_icequake.net>