Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA + GUI?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA + GUI?
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 17:09:05 EET

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 03:31:23 +0100, Dave Griffiths wrote:
> > Its not finding a way thats the problem, its getting people to agree
> > on one.
>
> This again :)
>
> 'scuse my ignorance - but how does it work with VST plugins?
> http://www.ohmforce.com/media/ss_OhmBoyz_funky.jpg !!!

In theory:

        VST provides a (cross-platform) library (libvstgui) that is used
        to draw pixmap GUIs. The plugin code calls UI functions.

In practice:

        Many plugins call OS specific drawing functions.

I'm not sure how automation is handled, but I dont think UI controls are
routed via the host, so I'm guess its done on "trust" and fudged timing.
I prefer models where all paramer changes go though the host so it can get
its automation sample accurate and repeatable.

- Steve