Re: [linux-audio-dev] DRI + Jack conflict?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] DRI + Jack conflict?
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 14:53:50 EET

Steve Harris wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 02:26:03 +0100, Vincent Touquet wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 08:31:10AM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
>> > Machine is an 800 MHz AMD w. 512 MB RAM, system is Planet CCRMA RH 9.
>> >Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I haven't had this
>> >kind of noise problem before now, I'd certainly like to get rid of it,
>> >and I'm willing to try about anything at this point (as long as it
>> >doesn't cost much ;).
>>
>> Personally, if I would have to buy a new video card, I'd rather give the
>> money to a knowledgeable hacker for a workaround :)
>>
>> I'm not yet sure if the problem will affect me (I think it will though,
>> I want to use jack in realtime mode together with accelerated 3D on a
>> laptop, which I will get in a few weeks time), but if it does, I'll certainly
>> consider forking over some cash to pour in a GPLed solution.
>
>Hear hear. I think that GL accelration is a (potentially) important
>optimisation for audio apps - it saves a lot of cache and memory bandwidth
>that can be better used number-crunching audio.

i'm a bit skeptical about this GL + audio business. over the years,
these splendid 3D accelerator cards have 'improved' to the point of
being one of the noisiest parts in a system, and consuming serious
wattage.

true open-source support for these chips verges on non-existence.
wasn't the point of linux to have an all-open-source system? i for
one won't run binary GL drivers.

and if you design your application around it, a system that does
GL in software will suffer big time from the cache, memory bandwidth
*and* CPU cycle hit. i've seen some simple GL-enabled applications
freeze software GL systems to a virtual standstill because it never
dawned on the author that this has to be taken into account.

i do agree that GL is a potentially important optimization. i don't
expect the potential to manifest itself within the next cople of years
though. :)

tim