Re: [linux-audio-dev] Some music made with Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Some music made with Linux
From: Pete Bessman (ninjadroid_AT_ml1.net)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 21:34:54 EET

At Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:23:52 +0100,
David Olofson wrote:

> > Tricky. To get crunchy hard-rock guitar sounds like Pete's
> > (nice track pete!), you'll have to realistically emulate
> > palm-muting, which I've never heard in a synth. And how would you
> > control the amount of muting? Map it to a CC and play a slider?

Don't think realistic. Think like a synth. If I was a synth, how
would I play guitar? Why, I used a small sample of a guitar waveform,
run it through even more distortion and a harmonic generator, add
lowpass filter sweeps whenever I wanted to palm mute, etc... The goal
is not to capture the sound of the guitar, but the _emotion_ of the
guitar, and to infuse it with the soul of the synth.

[pb]