OSS Audio development (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] First public release of Lindrum v 0.5.1)

Subject: OSS Audio development (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] First public release of Lindrum v 0.5.1)
From: J_Zar (romaninz_AT_aruba.it)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 23:21:07 EET

Alle 19:24, luned́ 1 marzo 2004, Tim Hockin ha scritto:
> On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 12:55:14PM -0500, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 07:07, guenter geiger wrote:
> > > Lack of collaboration is one of the weaknesses of the free software
> > > development (peculiarly enough it is considered one of its strenghts),
> > > especially with audio software.
> >
> > A weakness compared to what? Proprietary software is /definitely/ not
> > immune to this problem (in fact, I'd say it's far worse - there's no
> > collaboration whatsoever). Is is really a weakness of free software if
> > non-free software has the same problem?
> >
> > I don't hear people complaining about Steinberg and Emagic 'duplicating
> > effort'.
>
> How many OSS projects are aiming at similar goals? Each one has one or two
> people on them. If you put 5 or 6 people on one project, it would have a
> much better chance at competing with the big boys*.
>
> (*) Assuming smart people who could find a common vision. ;)

This is a nice point to discuss which brought a group of us (for a similar
reason) to start the OpenJay Development Krew regarding OpenSource Software
for dj environment (see more at http://www.openjay.org/ojdk/ ). We choose to
cooperate cause a bunch is better than one!

I personally think that one problem is not to find people to develop with but
to coordinate them. I saw few people as flexible as a project maintainer
needs to be( and I'm sure not among them! ). All this people maintains great
softwares although. But a reason for this issue is that a big project, as a
SoftSynth, needs lot of time and lot of text stuff only to discuss....

Another problem is the incredible will of reinventing the wheel: I saw too
much code to write the same thing more and more! The thing is: it is always
easier writing shit by yourself instead to write code taking lot of time to
understand API's and other code...

I think that some duplicates are needed: OSS is not only the best but also a
wide choise... However I agree that a reason for the failure could be the
inconsistence between project managers needs (on time, on choise...on
whatever) and contributors ones...

--
                J_Zar
           Gianluca Romanin