Re: [linux-audio-dev] Building qarecord and alsamodularsynth

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Building qarecord and alsamodularsynth
From: Alfons Adriaensen (fons.adriaensen_AT_alcatel.be)
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 15:37:21 EET

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 08:28:12AM -0500, Dave Robillard wrote:

> Fair enough. ./configure etc. is without a doubt THE way to distribute
> free software though. Most people find it quite annoying when an app
> doesn't follow the 'standard'.
>
> Users simply don't like hand-editing and copying configuration files
> around. At the very simplest level I don't want to edit the Makefile to
> make AMS use my preferred CFLAGS, and know where to find QT, and install
> to /usr. I just want to "./configure --prefix=/usr" and be done with it.

On of the reasons I try to avoid automake/autoconf is that when for some
reason it doesn't work on your system, you're lost unless you are an
expert with those tools, and they are not the easiest ones. A cleanly
written Makefile is a lot easier to fix in that case, and requires less
expert knowledge.

--
Fons