Re: [linux-audio-dev] Building qarecord and alsamodularsynth

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Building qarecord and alsamodularsynth
From: Peter Eschler (peschler_AT_t-online.de)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 01:41:48 EET

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 15:03, Dave Robillard wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 08:37, Alfons Adriaensen wrote:
> > On of the reasons I try to avoid automake/autoconf is that when for some
> > reason it doesn't work on your system, you're lost unless you are an
> > expert with those tools, and they are not the easiest ones. A cleanly
> > written Makefile is a lot easier to fix in that case, and requires less
> > expert knowledge.
>
> The input files to a proper autotools-ized project are quite a bit
> smaller and cleaner than a 400 line Makefile..
>
> I agree it may be a bit more of a hassle to set things up than just
> writing a Makefile (if you already just know make that is), but I tend
> to look at things from a user perspective, and ./configure is just
> simpler. Don't have to do something special for every damn app out
> there..

If you like, you can create an autotool project graphically using
kdevelop-3.0. It comes with an "automake manager". With a little knowledge of
the backgrounds you can easily setup a project (even including subprojects).
The targets can be configured to be apps, static or dynamic libs (lib or
libtool), etc. The installation can be handled too. There is more stuff to
control, but i'm not that into it.
I don't say you should use kdevelop for coding, just create the autotool stuff
once and you have a good start.

It tried autotools without kdevelop before. It was a pain. Cut-and paste,
loops of iterations and still not fully understood it. The graphical
interface helps here.

I packaged lindrum(to be renamed) with kdevelop recently. It creates two
static and one dynamic lib and an app. To integrate the Qt stuff i used a
trick from the author of qjackctl . His package uses qmake internally but
offers an autoconf setup.

PE

--
 "Without music, life would      _O_/ \_O_/ +----------------------+
  be a mistake - I would        / ))    []  | Peter Eschler        |