Re: [linux-audio-dev] TAP-plugins reverb presets

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] TAP-plugins reverb presets
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 01:50:56 EET

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 12:12:23 +0100, Tim Goetze wrote:
> i agree to your reasoning and your concerns seem valid to me. yet i do
> not think this is as much of an issue as it may seem now: the core
> functionality is in ladspa 1.1, and it is proven usable.

Absolutly - that doesnt mean it cant be improved in some small areas -
without adding complexity to the core of LADSPA.

> >Yes, particular plugins like my reverb or other fairly complex ones
> >could use some extra possibilities, but that can be satisfied by an
> >external and *optional* set of metadata, and i don't see why RDF won't
> >be good for this purpose. The metadata sBhould be (and currently, it
> >*is*) completely optional both to provide and to use. (oh, RDF is
> >bloated... yes, it is. May this be the biggest trouble in our lives :)))
>
> yes, may it :) and agreed again. concerning presets, help text, value
> scales, value range coloring etc etc, i'm all for storage external to
> the plugin. in contrast, information of immediate importance: latency,
> refined defaults and unit identifiers ("dB", "ms", ...) should be
> internal imo.

I do not think these things are critical to the functioning of all hosts
or plugins, and so should be external.

Units are a good case in point. You could just have a char *
representation, or you could (hypothetically) have some structured
repesentation say that ms was a Time unit with a long name of
"milliseconds" and it has ratio of 0.001 with the SI base unit, which is
the second, which has...

If you code that in the spec you either need a complex data structure (and
so a library to read it ideally) or you encode the knowledge in every
host, whereas is you encode it in RDF, you just express the units once in
the schema and all hosts can access it, plus if a plugin needs to declare
new units (or even a new class of units), it can, and they will be
understood by all hosts, even if they've never seen that unit before.

Hosts that just want to render the units after slider can just ask "whats
the label for port 3's units", whereas hosts that want to do tempo -> time
mapping for eg. can ask what they are and what thier relation to seconds
is.

> i have next to no opinion on what the metadata storage format should
> be. RDF is fine (although i admit the term 'human readable' strikes a
> slightly different note in me :) if everyone agrees on it, and steve
> has already put a lot of work into it.

Heh, yeah, I choke on "human readable" too, but I've worked with a /lot/ of
metadata languages and RDF is about the only one that isn't distilled evil :)

- Steve